The beautiful thing about this meal is that it barely counts as a recipe: it's a fancy sandwich. What does that mean? It takes less than 5 minutes to make it. Horray!
This is, by far, one of my most favourite clean eating dishes. I give credit to the Clean Eating Magazine who created this super healthy, open-faced-sandwich.
If you can handle raw spinach in the morning then this dish can be for either breakfast or lunch.
- 1 slice of Dimpflmeier Organic 100% Rye bread with whole grain (refer to picture on website if you aren't familiar with this bread http://www.dimpflmeierbakery.com/product/organic-100-rye-bread-with-whole-grain/)
- 1/2 an avocado (sliced or mushed, to act like the butter layer on the bread)
- Spinach (as much as you like to layer the bread)
- 2-3 slices of tomato
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sprinkling of salt (I particularly enjoy smoked sea salt flakes. Take a pinch and crumble it over the open-faced sandwich)
Simply layer the items above: bread, topped with avocado, then spinach, then tomato slices, topped with sliced egg. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle salt and enjoy!
What makes this meal so great is that it covers a lot of the food groups:
Carbohydrate - The rye bread with whole grain is the perfect starchy carbohydrate. Not only does it give you the energy you need, it's also an excellent source of fibre that will keep you feeling satisfied and help with digestion.
Fruits and vegetables - The spinach and tomato provide a healthy serving of vegetables packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Don't be too stingy with the spinach.
Fat - Though a lot of people shy away from it, fat is an important part of our diet and when we consume the right kinds, in the correct portions, it helps ward off nighttime feeding frenzies! Both the avocado and the extra virgin olive oil provide these healthy fats.
Protein - The egg provides a fabulous protein boost with all essential amino acids. Protein is necessary to build and repair muscle. This is not to be confused with body-builder type building. No matter how light your weights are when working out, if you're feeling-the-burn, your muscles need repair and protein is the food group that achieves that. Keep this in mind when attending your next Body Blast and Body Conditioning class at E-Fitness. Having this meal after class would be the perfect recovery lunch.